Friday 4 January 2013

Muscling Through - J.L. Merrow

Muscling ThroughMuscling Through by J.L. Merrow
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This story was so beautiful, short and sweet.

It's told in the point of view of Al who is not educated, has a really simplistic view of the world and doesn't understand sarcasm. But that's what made it this so special, the fact that it was written as if a child was narrating. Al is so sweet and endearing, he's loyal and wears his heart on his sleeve, he's a huge teddy bear which is masked by his big build, the scar on his face and the tattoos that cover his body. Anyone would be lucky to have a significant other like Al who I just want to hold tight and cuddle.

Though Al completely stole the show, I loved Larry as well. He's educated, sweet and saw and loved Al for who he is beyond Al's menacing demeanour. The emotion these brought out of me was fantastic.

I have two complaints. Firstly, it was too short, I wanted it to be longer. And secondly, the sex scenes felt detached. They were merely described in the simplest words possible. I mean, I wasn't expecting Al to break out into a detail prose during the sex scenes or anything, but I wanted more detail and more emotion. They just felt a bit awkward, I think would be the word to best describe it.

Regardless, I laughed, I almost cried, especially at the beauty of Al. He may not have a way with words, but when he expresses himself with his brutal honesty and his innocence, it was so heartwarming. I just loved every second of it.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment