Saturday 14 September 2013

The Chief (Highland Guard #1) - Monica McCarty

The Chief (Highland Guard, #1)The Chief by Monica McCarty
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I have been wanting to read this series but RL kept getting in the way. I'm so glad I finally found the time to read this. I suffer from withdrawals if I go even a few days without reading.

I'm on a serious historical romance high! More specifically, I'm high on Highlander series!

The downside from reading the first book in a series is trying to take in all the details and remembering all the secondary characters introduced who will get their own books in the series. There was so much history mentioned in this, i couldnt keep up. There were also times when I had no idea who was who. And every character in this book has a surname that's 'Mac' something. But I'm very much looking forward to getting to know who each of the warriors are and getting to know them better.

The love story in this was a bit of a rollercoaster ride. I can so relate to the heroine. I think we all can. She loves reading romance books and fantasises about having the kind of love she reads about in real life. Doesn't that sound familiar? She's a real romantic at heart like the rest of us. I felt for her a lot in this book because she so badly just wanted love and everything she did, it was because she was trying to help. But her plans never went according to plan, so I really felt sorry for her.

Tor is a brute, a warrior, a fierce leader of his clan who is bound by duty. He fell into the role as chief at such a young age. My heart broke for him when I learnt of his past and how much he suffered. He's a man who is ruled by duty, not emotion so he tried to close himself so much. I liked seeing how much Christina tested him. Their moments of banter were cute. There were many moments in this where I could have junk punched though.

I can't wait to read the next book in this series!

No comments:

Post a Comment